Thursday 11 February 2016

2015-08-08: Nerd Night

Way back when I was learning that databases were a viable career choice there was a little web comic, one of the first, called Goats. I liked it a fair bit more importantly though it had a mailing list for fans (this was in the days before comment sections were commonplace).
In the comic there were never cars in the way of the magnificent vista
It actually had two mailing lists. One which was on topic discussion of the comics. It didn't have much traffic. And The Other One.
The Other One was full of miscreants and whackjobs ranting and raving, I felt quite at home. I think I survived several jobs from the late 90's through to the mid 2000's venting frustration on that list. Most of the people were US based and we are finally here so we decided to meet some of them.
All the stickers show it is a true nerd heaven, Beer list is good and so is the scotch list, possible the scotch list is a bad influence.
The comic strip was largely set in The Peculier Pub on Bleecker street. Lacking much in the way of creativity we met there. Or of course we met there as an homage to the comic. Yeah let's say that.
David only acts surprised, he is scheming the whole time. He does drunken meet ups on a semi professional basis. On the bright side he is not like Paris Hilton who only has one pose for photos.

Gary is Subtly Naughty
Jon and I are innocent, the rest of them made us do things, even if we were tricked into making the bad decisions.
-dha and "an entity claiming to be" in my email were signs the afternoon would involve beer. In person without .sig's they were just as bad an influence.

We almost look like it was a worthy topic of discussion. Probably wasn't.

See what I mean? Is that or is it not the look of a man that has contentedly dropped the trap in the conversation. Smug bastard.

Jon has a new comic strip (Scenes from a Multiverse) it attracts clever well dressed people I shall insult (I don't think he was offended, I think he looked at me like I was a grandpa on a lawn)

More cool kids following the new cool strip.

I suspect our random tirades grew thin after a while

I am pretty sure he was saying "You should marry me because I am not as bad as those drunk old guys"

Hand gestures were eventually required for clarity.

Fairly sure that despite the obnoxious nature of the mailing list we never actually excluded Ladies through misogynistic behaviour. We are equal opportunity insulters.

Wait maybe he does have a single pose. I have never seen David and Paris Hilton at the same time.

For some reason she doesn't even have a burning hatred of me and my friends in her eyes yet.

Trying to get us to dance might be a teeny tiny bit too far though.
We drank a lot then had pizza at some place.

No comments:

Post a Comment