Monday 11 January 2016

2015-08-07: Salty training

I read a theory (or heard a drunk person say) about why Ladies in general don't sweat at training.
The theory was all due to volume versus area. If you have a sphere with diameter 2r the exposed surface area is A=4πr2.
Exposed surface area is not about clothing, it is a theoretical thing.
Obviously the square in that equation means that if the volume creates heat at a standard rate, say 1m3 = 1btu and if surface area releases heat at a standard rate, say 1m2 = 1btu then a higher volume person has more trapped heat. Which has to be released through more drastic measures than just simple heat transfer. That measure would be sweat.
I am a sweaty bastard is what I am saying, however I am claiming it is because I have soooo damn many muscles.
I think this is about as 'Merica as you can get. I took the picture from Liberty park, Freedom Tower is just to the left and a hotdog stand to the right.
The same source used this to explain why Japanese Lady sensei never sweat at all. They are comparatively tiny and they are also really good so they don't waste energy poking you with sticks, they are very efficient at it.
I am not that good yet either so my sweaty bastard ranking stands.
Sweaty bastards are normally relatively salty if you lick them. Salty people are people that swear a lot.
Or of course this could be as 'Merica as it gets. Except you can this pile of crap in most countries. We felt as bad after eating it as we would have in any other country.
This is applicable to me both ways.
But I have a cunning plan! If I cover myself with seawater then I will taste salty when anyone licks me and if someone licks me I think I am allowed to swear.
See? It is all about taking my own failings and reconstructing reality.
At the bar which had the truffle oil popcorn one of the locals mentioned that you can go kayaking beside the Lady of Freedom.
Lady Of Liberty.
I figure that will have at least partially salty water even if it is technically a river.
There were two varieties of kayak. One was called the Outback explorer or some such nonsense and had pedals which operated little paddles at the back. Apparently they are really good once you get the hang of them.
Gentleman of Liberty
But I am a traditionalist and went for the boring use your lazy arms. Ewa took this as a challenge and chose the same. Ellory (our host) probably wasn't being competitive because he is a normal person but he took the same.
Plus Horseshoe crabs. I seem to recall their blood is blue for some copper reason. I don't think they told us this.
All in all I think this is probably the best fun thing to do as a tourist in New York / New Jersey. I can't remember how much it cost but it wasn't much and there were lots of local knowledge stories about some guy blowing up some magazine during some war.
Liberty Park was full of foolish people that didn't want to play in kayaks. I have to admit I was kind of tempted to see if I could join in until I noticed there were no smokers, then I figured it would be just more lack lustre barbecue and went to play in the waters.
Then we went to training because we are predictable.

Sometimes you meet an actual fighter. This young lady is one of them. I am glad I have training and she doesn't or I would be toast.

Afterwards we got booze. I may have ranted. Usually do. It may have even been me that came up with the surface area versus volume theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment